Over 30 million individuals in the world have warts. Despite the fact the condition isn’t usually painful, the small proliferations of skin often cause embarrassment. Why do warts grow, in the first place, and how to prevent their occurrence? Here is everything you need to know about these benign growths of skin and how to eliminate them with the best wart removal products.
Dermatologists’ tips to get rid of warts
The skin experts explain that warts – known as verrucas – appear because of the infection with Human Papilloma Virus, which is also known as HPV. The bad news is there are over 100 strains of HPV, and they can be transmitted sexually or through direct contact. Statistics show that it is one of the most common STD in the United States. And if that wasn’t enough, you can also get warts by touching somebody else who has the infection.
Not all individuals with HPV have warts, but all of the folks with warts have HPV. Why should you monitor and eliminate them? Because several types of the virus are responsible for cervical cancer, oropharyngeal cancer, anal cancer, penile cancer, and vaginal cancer.
When you are concerned because of the presence of warts on your body, and you visit a dermatologist, they will recommend you a few treatment options. It is true that some warts go away on their own, without having to use any solutions. But some of these protuberances are stubborn and disappear only after trying these methods:
- Cryosurgery – or cryotherapy – the doctor will use liquid nitrogen to freeze the wart. This wart removal procedure doesn’t come cheap – it costs approximately $600, including the initial visit and 3-4 follow-up treatments. The bad side of it? Cryosurgery isn’t helpful in case of genital warts. Plus, it causes side effects such as infection, increased swelling, fever, throbbing pain, and even pus or yellow discharge from the area.
- Laser treatment – is usually recommended by dermatologists when other procedures have failed to cure warts. How does it work? The precise and focused beam of light heats the blood in the capillaries that supply the verruca, then it destroys the blood vessels. Therefore, the growth of skin will die and fall off shortly. However, laser treatment enables full recovery within 2-4 weeks, and the price is between $300-$400. Although it leaves scars behind, the advantage of this wart removal option is that it can target hard-to-reach areas, including genital warts.
- Minor surgery – implies destroying the wart first with liquid nitrogen or an electric needle, then cutting it off. Your dermatologist will warn you that surgery results in scars, and it could include other side effects, as well.
- Intralesional immunotherapy – when intralesional injections of candida antigen are given every 3 weeks to kill the warts. The studies prove that, compared to cryotherapy, immunotherapy is more efficient. However, the intralesional injections could not be used on genital warts. Despite the fact it causes mild pain during injection, immunotherapy is well-tolerated by patients and heals warts in over 75% of cases. This new wart removal procedure costs about $150-250 – considerably more than over-the-counter products.
If the costs and side effects of these therapies concern you, seek help in the power of nature.
What are the best natural ingredients for wart removal?
Numerous herbs and essential oils promote the skin health naturally. Because they have antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, these home remedies treat verrucas effectively and even prevent the appearance of these growths of skin. How to get rid of warts with natural ingredients? Here’s what you should use:
- Salicylic Acid – it is one of the most powerful cures for warts. Found in the composition of numerous over-the-counter treatments, including Wartrol, patches, gels, and other solutions, Salicylic Acid works by softening the abnormal cells and dissolving the growths caused by HPV. How to use Salicylic Acid for warts? First, soak the protuberance in warm water for approximately 10 minutes. Buff it gently with a pumice stone or emery board, then paint the keratolytic acid on the wart similarly to nail polish. Repeat daily and, after a few days or weeks, it will disappear completely.
- Tea Tree Oil – addresses the cause of warts – the Human Papilloma Virus. The extract of Melaleuca Tree of Australia contains the organic component known as Terpinen-4-ol, which has potent antiviral effects and dissolves the unflattering bumps naturally. Although it can be used on all types of warts and all over the body – including on warts on face and venereal warts – you are advised to dilute this wart removal product in a carrier oil before applying it to the skin. Mix a few drops of TTO with twice as much Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, or Coconut Oil, then use a cotton ball to apply it to the wart for 3-4 times a day. Repeat every day, and in about a week you will enjoy the effects.
- Marigold – the sap from the stem and the juice from the leaves can be used to kill warts and prevent their appearance on the skin. Buy a solution with Marigold extract or use the natural herb, if possible. Spread it on the wart and wait for several hours to absorb deep into the bump. Apply it regularly and, in several weeks, it should be gone.
- Oregano essential oil – has antiseptic properties, helps with staph infections, and reduces the inflammation. When used on warts on hands daily, the essential oil of Origanum vulgare – combined with some Olive Oil – eliminates the growths at an affordable cost. Our recommendation? Place some tape or a band-aid over the wart right after applying Oregano essential oil, as it will prevent it from getting oxygen – thus, stopping the development of the wart.
The benefits of using natural ingredients are numerous. First, they are cost-effective and do not imply a visit to the doctor. Furthermore, they do not cause unwanted side effects, and they certainly do not result in scars. If you have any allergies or immunity problems, you should discuss with your General Practitioner before trying any wart treatment.
How to remove warts with home products
Check your fridge or pantry for these products, and learn how to use them to eliminate warts:
- Basil – is great on your plate, but it has amazing effects when used to the skin. Did you know it is one of the best wart removal products? Apart from removing the HPV bumps, the juice from basil leaves also treats acne, prevents whiteheads and blackheads, heals small wounds, and soothes itching. Take several fresh basil leaves and chop them before applying them to warts on face. Cover the area with a band-aid and repeat the process for several days or until the verruca disappears. As simple as that!
- Baking soda – is an age-old remedy with natural exfoliant properties. It functions by soaking away the moisture from the skin growth and drying it. Mix a tablespoon of baking powder with some water and form a thick paste; spread it over the wart with a cotton ball and let it absorb into the skin overnight; in the morning, wash it with warm water, and re-apply the remedy before going to bed, at night. Our recommendation? During the day, use a solution with Salicylic Acid to accelerate the results and get rid of warts fast.
- Apple cider vinegar – causes warts to darken and peel off. Pour some organic apple cider vinegar on a band-aid and stick it to the plantar wart. Keep it moist for 2-3 days – don’t forget to replace the band-aid every day – and your skin will remain smooth and free from warts.
- Duct tape – is one of the cheapest – and easier to use – wart removal products out there. All you have to do is cover the bump with some duct tape and leave with for several days in a row. If it falls off, replace it with a new one as soon as possible. The piece of duct tape will eventually fall together with the dried wart.
- Bananas – more specifically, its peel – contains a high percentage of potassium, which is believed to help with common warts. The chemical boosts the immune response and assists the body in removing the HPV symptoms. When applied to the skin, the banana peel penetrates the skin and dissolves the keratin – until the growth disappears.
- Garlic – use a freshly-cut clove to wipe the area affected by warts, then apply athletic tape over it. Repeat the natural treatment daily for several days in a row, and the antiviral effects of garlic will work wonders. What is the disadvantage of using this natural wart treatment? Garlic has a strong scent, and you might be tempted to wash it off before leaving the house.
The best over-the-counter wart removers in 2018
Fast acting wart removal gels, liquids, and other supplements can be found in numerous drugstores and online shops. Before wasting your money on wart treatments that do not provide any results – or, worse, they cause side effects – discuss with your doctor whether your small proliferations of skin are warts. Then, if you have any allergies or suffer from chronic diseases, your doctor will consider these aspects before telling you what to do to get rid of warts safely.
Buy the best wart removal products of the year only after checking its list of components. If it has one or more of the natural ingredients reviewed above, give it a try. What else should you do? Adopt healthier habits and a nutritional diet that improves your immune system so that you can remove and prevent the symptoms of HPV naturally. Combine the use of OTC wart treatment with natural remedies and eliminate verrucas fast!