Losing hair is frustrating for women. When their beautiful locks become thinner, they change their hair care products and search for shampoos that would address the loss of hair. What ingredients should you look for? How often should you wash your hair to promote the regrowth of new strands? Learn everything you need to know about hair thinning and the best shampoo for hair loss in females.
Why does hair loss occur and what should you do?
Common causes of hair loss in women involve genes, hormones, age, and stress. The symptoms are easily recognizable: because the hair growth cycle is affected, the strands will fall sooner than they would normally do. Thus, more than 100 hairs per day will shed, and one will notice the loss of strands all over: on the shoulders and clothes, on the pillow, when brushing, and when washing the hair.
First, you must calm down and try to identify what causes your problem. Have you recently changed the hair care products? Do you have other symptoms besides hair loss? Perhaps you didn’t know by now, but the dietary habits can impact the appearance and health of your locks. When chunks of hair fall suddenly, a major stressful event could be to blame. In this case, you are advised to pay a visit to your doctor and find whether a disease causes your hair to fall.
You might talk with your hair stylist, as well, but your problem can be much more than cosmetic – and you should address your condition with the right treatment and shampoo. In many cases, an effective shampoo can stop the shedding and promote the growth of new strands on your scalp.
How to choose the best shampoo for your hair type
Numerous individuals neglect the importance of using the right products for their skin or hair type. When you wash your scalp with a shampoo for dry hair though you have excessive sebum production, it could make your problem worse. Before actually purchasing the shampoo, you must know what the product does, how to use it, and how it will work for your hair type.
The purpose of shampoo is to clean your scalp and hair of oil, dirt, and styling products. You might think of it as a hair-cleansing agent, but the truth is that the shampoo can work as a treatment if you have a medical condition – for instance, seborrhea, dandruff, hair loss, psoriasis, or ringworm, among others. If the shampoo is used on the scalp and the conditioner is for your hair strands, you must buy hair care products that are appropriate for your type of scalp and hair. Check this list and find what your locks need to be beautiful and healthy:
- Dry scalp – when you’re constantly dealing with frizzy, dry locks, and itchy, flaky scalp, you must start using a shampoo for dry scalp. A potent product will address your dull hair from root to tip. Look for a shampoo with ingredients that hydrate, moisturize, and smoothen your locks, and avoid the volumizing products that contain Sulfates. It might be dry, but it doesn’t mean that you should wash it rarely. Use a shampoo with Menthol or Tea Tree Oil every 3-4 days to moisturize your dry scalp and stop flakiness naturally. Other hydrating ingredients commonly used in shampoos are Shea Butter, Jasmine Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Panthenol, Olive Oil, Moroccan Oil, Argan Oil, and Avocado Oil.
- Oily scalp – are your sebaceous glands overactive? When your hair gets greasy after only one or two days after a wash, you have to change the hair care products. Use a hair regrowth shampoo for oily scalp, preferably one with these ingredients: Argan Oil, Vitamin E, Almond Oil, Carotene, Protein, Lemon, Cyprus Extracts, Mandarin Orange Extract, Kaolin Clay, and Rosemary Oil. Whether your hair is long or short, you should treat your oily scalp, control the sebum production, rebalance the pH, and gently cleanse the skin and hair roots.
- Normal scalp – in this case, the dermatologists recommend using a shampoo that promotes the growth of healthy hair. Avoid these ingredients: Sodium Chloride, Sulfates, DEA (Diethanolamine), PEG (Polyethylene Glycol), Alcohol, Formaldehyde, Parabens, Phthalates, artificial colors, and synthetic fragrances. In fact, you should avoid these compounds regardless you buy a shampoo for normal scalp, dry hair, or oily scalp. Search for the products with a short list of ingredients and consider the shampoos with natural compounds. Here are several components that should be present in your mild shampoo: Vitamin E, Panthenol, Keratin, Soy Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, and Biotin. They improve the hair elasticity, prevent thinning, repair strands from roots to tips, and increase the hair growth rate naturally.
- Combination scalp – the overactive sebaceous glands produce too much sebum, which is then absorbed into the skin and prevents the essential oils from traveling the length of the hair thread. Thus, the scalp is greasy, with oily roots, and frizzy hair ends that are prone to breaking. Wash your hair with a shampoo that contains ingredients that control the sebum production, strengthen the follicles, and condition the ends. Read the product’s label carefully and search for these ingredients: Green Tea, Tea Tree, Lemon, Vitamins A, C, E, Jojoba Oil, Basil, Argan oil, Rosemary, and Keratin.
Using the best ingredients to stop the hair loss in females
Now that you know what your hair type is and what kind of shampoo you need to use, make sure that you combat and prevent the loss of hair with the best ingredients. Here’s our list with the top-notch compounds that curb the hair thinning and increase the beauty of your locks:
- Protein – Wheat Protein, Caviar Extract, Keratin, Egg Protein, Silk, Rice, Oat, and Collagen are the most commonly used ingredients in anti-hair loss shampoos. Hair is made of the protein called Keratin, so your locks will become healthier after using hair products rich in protein and amino acids. The shampoos with these nutrients work by stimulating the cells responsible for hair follicle growth and blocking the production of Dihydrotestosterone, a hormone which is often the cause of hair loss.
- Vitamins – B Complex, E, D, C, A – strengthen the hair from root to the tip and assist the body in producing more Collagen, which is essential for our locks. Plus, they have antioxidant effects, increase the blood circulation to the scalp, elevate the oxygen supply, and help repairing the damaged hair roots. If Vitamin A boosts the cell growth and controls the sebum production, Biotin (Vitamin B7) helps to rebuild the damaged follicles and reduces hair loss naturally. Vitamin B5 reverses hair thinning, Vitamin E improves the blood flow and nourishes the follicles, while Vitamin D regulates the hormones production and prevents the loss of hair.
- Minerals – Zinc, Iron, Magnesium, Calcium, Iodine, Selenium, Copper, and Silica – promote normal hair follicle cell division, improve the hair health, and fight against what could affect the hair growth cycle. Moreover, minerals accelerate the growth of hair, increase the blood circulation to the scalp, and help building stronger, more flexible, and more lustrous locks. Choose a thickening shampoo with one or more minerals to stop the shedding and regain the beauty of your hair.
- Herbal extracts – Caffeine, Tea Tree Oil, Ginger, Cedarwood, Aloe Vera, Argan Oil, Lavender Extract, Green Tea, and numerous other natural oils and essences can stop, reverse, and prevent the hair loss in females and men. The plant extracts are excellent sources of minerals, vitamins, oils, and other nutrients that are vital for the hair health. If the hair products you use contain 3 or more herbal extracts (check the label for Latin names), it will counter the hair thinning and restore your locks to their former glory.
- Minoxidil – is effective in patients dealing with hair shedding. As the only FDA-approved medicine for hair loss, Minoxidil works by stimulating the follicles to produce new strands. The compound increases the size of follicles, stimulates cell proliferation, and boosts the hair growth in women and men. If you are searching for the best shampoo for hair loss, get one with Minoxidil and herbal extracts, as well.
What shampoo should you use?
Always consider your hair type and your particular needs. When the hair thinning gets worse and you notice more strands on the brush, you ought to change your shampoo and get one that promotes the hair growth. Take a look on our recommendations and why should you try them:
- Provillus – has a formula especially designed for women and, according to the manufacturer, it stops the loss of hair and strengthens the scalp strands naturally. The hair growth treatment from Provillus consists in a combination of shampoo and pills that work together to reduce the hair thinning and replenish the health of follicles. As for the ingredients, Provillus contains Minoxidil, Biotin, Vitamin B6, Horsetail Silica, Magnesium, Zinc, and numerous herbal extracts that promote cell proliferation and fight off the signs of hair loss. The price of the best hair loss treatment? Only $39.97. Buy more and enjoy the special prices!
- Art Naturals Organic Argan Oil Hair Loss Shampoo – is a hair growth treatment enriched with extracts of Green Tea, Aloe Vera, Lavender, and Vitamin E, nutrients that fight against hair thinning and increase the scalp health. When you want to reverse the damage caused by harsh styling products and sun rays, shampoo your hair with this product that costs $26.93 and restores the beauty of your locks.
- Viviscal Densifying Shampoo for Glorious Growth – can work wonders for your thinning scalp. The hair treatment is formulated with Zinc, Biotin, and Keratin and increases the hair growth rate without drying out the scalp. Use it accordingly to instructions, and your hair will grow back again on the bald areas. How much it costs? Approximately $10. Plus, you can use it with Viviscal pills or Nuviante supplement, these therapies that repair the damaged follicles and reverse the signs of hair fall.
- Hair Growth Cayenne and Saw Palmetto Shampoo – costs $32.50 and has a botanical organic formula that boosts the blood flow to the scalp and replenishes the hair health naturally. With Ginseng, Saw Palmetto, Chilli Seed Oil, and Aloe Vera, this hair fall solution will promote the hair growth in women and improve the beauty of their locks.
- Pura D’Or Premium Organic Shampoo for Hair Loss Prevention – can be used even when the symptoms of thinning are already on the scalp. The ingredients contained – mostly hair growth vitamins – block the formation of Dihydrotestosterone, unclog the scalp pores, and assist in building stronger strands. The price of this hair thinning treatment is $25.
How to use the hair growth shampoo
Misusing the hair products can result in clogged pores, dry scalp, or excessive sebum production. How often should you use the hair loss shampoo? The dermatologists from the American Academy of Dermatology Association recommend washing your locks as often as once a day of your scalp is oily. But if your head skin is dry, you ought to use the hair growth shampoo less frequently.
Here’s how to wash your hair like a pro: wet your hair and scalp thoroughly with warm or lukewarm water, then massage the skin with a small amount of the hair loss shampoo. Use the balls of your fingertips to gently massage the scalp for a whole minute and avoid scrubbing your hair or spreading the product towards the ends. That’s where the conditioner will work to moisturize and soften the strands. If you wash your mane every a few days, the hair experts recommend second shampooing to exfoliate the scalp surface and stimulate the growth of new, stronger threads.
The best shampoo for hair loss in women will start to work within weeks after the first use. When the hair growth shampoo contains high-quality ingredients that are suited to your scalp and promote the repairing of follicles and strands, the results could appear even sooner than expected. Take good care of your hair, avoid over-styling, and prevent the hair fall regularly using the best shampoo for your locks!