The experts have confirmed: essential oils efficiently promote the health of nails. After accurate lab tests, they noticed that the compounds included in the composition of natural oils have healing properties. When your nails are brittle and dry, use the power of nature to fight off onychomycosis. Here is everything you need to know about the best essential oils for nail fungus with recipes.
Cure onychomycosis with antifungal essential oils
Without any doubts, strong and thick nails look beautiful. They mirror your overall health and good grooming. Plus, you feel fantastic with your manicure! But when the fungus attacks the fingernails, they lose the shine that made you proud. Maybe discolorations will appear, and the fragile nails will start to split. Thankfully, the symptoms will go away in no time if you use essential oils.
It sounds easy, but it hides something more. Results will not appear immediately. Because onychomycosis is stubborn and hard to treat, many sufferers will wake up getting it again. With patience and diligence, you will manage to kill the fungus, stop its spreading, and restore the health and beauty of your nails. Use essential oils to accomplish your goals:
- Tea tree oil – is one of the most powerful antifungal and antiviral products out there. The Australian researchers who studied their native resource have found that a 5% solution of tea tree oil has similar effects to benzoyl peroxide, which is a top drugstore acne remedy. The health benefits of this essential oil are much more impressive: it cures and protects wounds, kills bacteria, fungus, and viruses, and improves the recovery of tissues. Additionally, it offers relief to cough and cold, stops the hair loss, eliminates dandruff, stimulates the blood circulation in the body, and boosts the immune response. Based on this reliable study, tea tree oil will remove the cause of onychomycosis and treat athlete’s foot, as well.
- Jojoba oil – can be used to nourish skin, scalp, and nails. Many women use it to remove makeup quickly and safely. As shown by the clinical tests, jojoba oil prevents razor burn, moisturizes skin, and fights fungi and infections. The good news is that it also treats psoriasis, acne, and other skin conditions. Get a bottle for $5-10 when you want to eliminate the nail fungal infection naturally. Make sure it’s quality, 100% jojoba oil, and has no additives that could irritate your skin.
- Lavender oil – its medicinal properties consist in improving the sleep quality, calming the nervous system, relieving pain, treating acne, and alleviating various respiratory disorders. Because it stimulates the blood flow in the system, lavender oil will enhance the immunity and help fight off harmful microorganisms. It proved to be effective against nail fungus and hair loss.
- Orange oil – has sedative, antispasmodic, antiseptic, antimicrobial, tonic, and antidepressant effects. The compounds included in the essential oil will inhibit microbial growth and remove the onychomycosis symptoms from the beginning. Plus, it disinfects the wounds and reduces the risk of skin infections (athlete’s foot). You find it available on the market. But if you want to make your own orange oil, you ought to use the peel of several fruits. Let it dry, grind it, then pour some warm grain alcohol over it. Shake it well, let it sit for 2-3 days, after that strain it. Then, you can apply it right away.
- Lemon oil – contains numerous nutrients that will feed the cells and enhance the consumer’s overall health. It improves blood circulation, raises immunity, diminishes stress levels, and boosts the natural skin glow. Do you look tired today? Drop some lemon oil in a small amount of water, and apply it on the skin around your eyes. When you use it on fingernails and toenails, it will soften the cuticles and penetrate the walls of the fungus cells. The infection will go away soon, leaving your nails beautiful and lustrous.
- Myrrh oil – promotes the growth of smoother and stronger nails. Because it balances the body’s fluid systems, it destroys the natural habitat of fungus. Additionally, it has astringent, antiviral, antimicrobial, and stimulant effects. Why should you get it? Because myrrh essential oil boosts immunity, and assists you combat onychomycosis. Use it regularly on your toenails, and they will no longer be yellow and brittle.
- Chamomile oil – does not allow the development of microbes and fungi. It kills intestinal worms, assists the elimination of toxins from the body, and calms down irritation, especially in children. When it is applied on wounds, it promotes the healing of cells. Even the tea contains a small percent of chamomile oil, so you can use it on the toenails to banish onychomycosis naturally.
- Almond oil – is the secret of many beautiful women. They apply it on their nails, skin, and hair to look amazing any time. Apart from nourishing skin and enhancing its appearance, almond essential oil cleanses the face and removes the dark circles under the eyes. Plus, it relieves psoriasis, eczema, and skin rash. If the fingernails are thin and break off easily, it’s a sign you must use almond oil and fortify them. Apply a few drops on each of your nails and let it absorb into the unguis tissue for at least 20 minutes. The effects are incredible!
- Calendula oil – has a strange smell, but its healing properties cannot be ignored. Some people use it in their kitchen, while others apply it to boost their health and wellness. Its effects include relaxing musculature, diminishing inflammations, healing ulcers and wounds, reducing the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, improving the oral health, and destroying fungus and germs. Onychomycosis and its symptoms will go away quickly.
- Grapeseed oil – is a powerful tool against onychomycosis. When the nails are torn weak, you must drop a small amount of grapeseed oil and massage it gently into the areas affected. Repeat daily until the nails regain their beauty. Other health properties of this essential oil are repairing the broken capillaries, accelerating the recovery of tissues, preventing cancer, lowering the blood sugar levels, and enhancing the heart health.
- Rosemary oil – is the ultimate natural ingredient for your health and beauty. Did you know that rosemary aroma will boost memory in kids? The truth is that it can also reduce anxiety, improve mental clarity, cure headaches, relieve muscle cramps, elevate the immune response, relief flu and cold, improve digestion, and fade away stretch marks and acne. Use it on your toenails daily to kill the fungus and stop its spreading.
The best natural remedies for nail fungus
Do you know how to combine the essential oils? You can use them alone or in various combinations. But you must consider a few principles before applying them to cure nail fungus. Although you may get creative, maybe some of the recipes used will not work for you. That’s because some essential oils need a special carrier that will potentiate the effects.
For instance, the oils of citric fruits work wonders together. Lemon oil and orange oil will eliminate the discoloration, and repair the texture of the nail plate. Because lemon oil is phototoxic, you must avoid using it before or when out in the sun. On the other hand, olive oil can be used as a carrier of any essential oils. When applied locally, it penetrates the tissues and accelerates the absorption of other compounds. So, the antifungal effects will occur sooner, and you will quickly get rid of onychomycosis.
The healing experts state that the combination of several essential oils is more potent than using just one ingredient. So, you must use one as a carrier oil and mix them thoroughly before applying them to cure nail fungus. According to the specialists’ recommendations, almond oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and olive oil are some of the best carriers. They are very light, with a pleasant smell, and can also enhance the health of the consumers. Needless to say, if you are allergic to any of the compounds, you must stop using it.
How much carrier oil should you use?
Well, the evidence shows that essential oils will provide their therapeutic benefits when diluted 10%, 5%, or 2% with carrier use. Always dilute! The given ratio will not cause side effects or unwanted consequences. So, you should not mix more than several drops of calendula oil in one tablespoon of sunflower oil. In this case, the sunflower will work as a carrier and will increase the effects of the essential oil. If you pour too much of an ingredient, it may irritate the skin surrounding the nails.
Homemade recipes for healthy and strong nails
Do you know how to combine the essential oils? Here are a few recipes that you should try on your nails:
- Mix 20 drops of tea tree oil with 40 drops of almond oil. Stir it until it’s homogeneous, then apply it on the nails that were cleaned with alcohol in advance. Wait for 10 minutes, then scrub it softly with a soft bristle toothbrush. Repeat daily for several months, and 2-3 weeks after the symptoms disappear. This way, you’ll make sure that nail fungus will not re-occur.
- Dilute 3 drops of oregano oil or myrrh oil in a tablespoon of jojoba oil. Rub it onto the affected nails, and try to keep them in open air for as long as you can. In 2-3 weeks, the signs of infection will disappear.
- Pour 10 drops of lavender oil in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Apply it on the toenails, and they will grow stronger, shinier, and free from fungus.
- 5 drops grapeseed oil with 1 tablespoon jojoba oil is a simple recipe that will remove onychomycosis for good. Use this homemade remedy daily for several months.
- 10-15 drops chamomile oil and 2 tablespoons almond oil are amazing if your nails are brittle, yellow, and dry. You may use it several times a day, for 1-2 months. Apply it on all of your nails to make sure that the infection will not appear again.
- Mix equal parts of orange oil and lemon oil. This recipe smells amazing, but its healing properties are even better. Scrub it gently onto your fingernails and toenails, then leave it for 20-30 minutes. After that, you may put on your socks or wash your hands. Remember that you should not go out in the sun right after using lemon oil!
These essential oils for nail fungus with recipes will not cure your problem overnight. The results will appear in time, and they are not permanent. But if you are patient and use the recipes at least once daily, you will manage to keep onychomycosis under control. You’ll be amazed to find out that these essential oils will strengthen nails and give them a beautiful luster. Use natural ingredients and eliminate onychomycosis in the comfort of your home!